Sunday, June 14, 2020

Freedom of Speech

There is a current news story in the world of sports that seems to stop the momentum of professional sports returning this summer. NBA All-Star Kyrie Irving of the Brooklyn Nets protest not to play in the NBA tournament due to the recent racial events that are going on in our country.  Despite being inactive due to injuries for a long time, Irving still has claimed that he will not "play" alongside his team. The 2022 team NBA tournament which will have no fans in attendance. The reason why his freedom of speech upsets me is because as a basketball fan I want to see the sport being played. There are several other players who actually want to play today for the same reason why Irving does not want to play. LeBron James, one of his former teammates, is planning to play out of motivation of the same recent events. A few nights ago, Irving had a conference call with over 90 NBA players who have the same ideas he has. In the United States of America, every individual has the right to freedom of speech and I respect Kyrie for speaking his mind. My viewpoint is that I wish more players would take action on the court, instead of addressing issues on the sidelines and through social media.

No comments:

Post a Comment

My Online History

When it comes to my online presence I feel I have accurately presented how I live my life. My social media accounts include LinkedIn, Instag...