Sunday, July 5, 2020

My Online History


When it comes to my online presence I feel I have accurately presented how I live my life. My social media accounts include LinkedIn, Instagram, and Snapchat. I use social media to keep in touch with friends through Snapchat and Instagram and LinkedIn for career opportunities. Overall, I feel my online history is clean and gives a clear picture of who I am.


There was an instance where I did make an error in my online profile. I received a direct message on Instagram from someone claiming to be my friend from camp. It turns out that his account was hacked and his hacker told me to click a link to sign up for a running event. It required my Instagram username and password and as a younger person who just started to use social media, I fell for it. The hacker used my account to send out something called “The Ugly Instgram Chart” which was another link for him to get into people’s accounts. My followers who he sent the link to were very upset with me and I was embarrassed that I gave my information away way too easily. It was also embarrassing because it made me feel unknowing for falling for a scam like that. I think what is important to protect your reputation is to double check what we do online first, just like the Ted Talk said about how our internet actions are like tattoos. 


Overall, if an employer went to see my online presence I think they would find a clean and significant image of who I am. My Instagram account mostly shows how I live my life by my interests, family, teammates, friends, and pets. On my LinkedIn account I actually need to add more personal information and specific work experience. The older I get, I use social media more safely and intelligently. Going forward I will keep in mind that everything I post is like a permanent tattoo of my life.


 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fu1C-oBdsMM


1 comment:

  1. Wow, that is a scary story about the online scam you got tricked into. I once had my identity used to buy a $90,000 house in Charlotte! BE CAREFUL OUT THERE!

    ReplyDelete

My Online History

When it comes to my online presence I feel I have accurately presented how I live my life. My social media accounts include LinkedIn, Instag...