Thursday, July 2, 2020

How Instagram Relates to Diffusion of Innovations


When it comes to technologies that have created innovation, Instagram is the first on my list. Let's take a look at our history of sharing photos we started with sending pictures through postcards to others. Years later, Facebook was invented and we were able to share all photos to our friends and family online. The Diffusion of Innovation Theory asks how and why technology spreads. In the case of Instagram, the idea that not only can you send photos, but you can also add captions and have friends comment on them really resonated with people.

Instagram has over 100 million active users. The photographs come out in real time on an app versus Facebook. It is more immediate and focused on beautiful photographs. The problem was such a threat to Facebook that they decided to buy Instagram in 2012 for $1 billion dollars. 

Another reason why it spread so much is because when people "like" your photos it is way to make you feel better. This feature helped to spread the platform. The reason why I started to use instagram was because I enjoyed seeing what my friends were doing and where they were. I also would post photographs of my track meets and follow sports figures and teams.

No comments:

Post a Comment

My Online History

When it comes to my online presence I feel I have accurately presented how I live my life. My social media accounts include LinkedIn, Instag...